1502/1516 Clark St.

1502 Clark

Corner of 15th & Clark St. about 1900. The tavern was probably operated by Walter Pellet at this time. Image used by permission of Herald Times Reporter/Gannett.com

Bill’s Tavern – August 6, 1937, Ad – Manitowoc Sun-Messenger.

Pete’s Tavern – matchbook, circa 1940. Images courtesy of Joseph Dempsky.

Arnie & Lila Novak – February 6, 1982. This photo was taken at the Vet’s Club, upstairs hall. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak.

 

Arnie & Lila’s Bar – circa 1970’s – Lila’s jacket. Arnie & Lila Novak were at this location from 1969-83. Photo courtesy of Jeff Novak, Jr.

Tom & Jerry’s – 1985 – Wis. State Historical Society – This image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

TJ’s Sports Bar – Winter 2016. TJ’s has been open at this location since 2002.

TJ's Sports Bar & Grill

1516 Clark

Clark Street Tavern – July 2, 1937. Ad – Manitowoc Sun-Messenger.

Erv’s Bar – April 26, 1948. From left: Herman Kohls, Erv Gomm (owner), Clara Kohls, Dave Novak. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak.

Erv’s Bar – circa late 1940’s. Matchbook – front.

Erv’s Bar – matchbook, back.

Erv’s Bar – matchbook, inside.

Clark St. Inn – 1984. Used by permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

1516 Clark St. – 2009.

2201 Marshall St.

Blue Bird Tavern – circa 1940’s – matchbook, front. Anton Mushel owned this tavern from the 1930’s until approx. 1940 when it became Vic’s.

Blue Bird Tavern – circa 1940’s – matchbook, back.

Vic’s Bar – August 2, 1940. Ad – Manitowoc Sun-Messenger.

Polish Phil’s – 1975. This image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

Pat & Mike’s Saloon – 1985 – Wis. Arch. & Hist. Inventory – Image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

2016 Marshall St.

Jimmie’s Bar – June 5, 1942. Ad – Manitowoc Sun-Messenger. The type for this ad is hard to read due to the white print on black background: “Delicious Fish Fry with french fried potatoes. Every Fri. Night. Fresh Shrimp Daily. Hot Lunches Daily. Jimmie’s Bar corner 21st & Marshall St. Jim Burish, Prop.” His full name was Wenzel J. Burish.

Jimmy’s Bar – circa 1940s. Matchbook, front.

Jimmy’s Bar – matchbook, back.

Bushy’s Bar – Friday, August 2, 1946 – ad. Image used by permission of Herald Times Reporter/Gannett.com

Bachy’s Bar – circa 1950’s – matchbook, front.

Bachy’s Bar – matchbook, back.

Bachy’s Bar – matchbook, inside cover.

Harry’s Bar – 1975 – Wis. Arch. & Hist. Inventory – This image cannot be copied or reproduced without the written permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.

The Rock Cellar – 2005. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak.

2016 Marshall St. – 2008. For a classic Manitowoc Tavern, it doesn’t get any prettier than this. The property has been sitting vacant since late 2008.