215 N. 8th St.

Owl Saloon – circa 1915. On the far right is Lawrence Fuka, Sr. who ran this tavern from 1910-1919 until the start of prohibition when it was converted into a restaurant. This photo is courtesy of Stan Fuka, the grandson of Lawrence. He mentioned that his father’s boyhood duty at the saloon was cleaning the spitoons.

Lawrence Fuka, Sr. was born in Prarie du Chien in 1875. He operated taverns in Norman and Two Creeks prior to moving to Manitowoc in 1910. Shortly after his move to Manitowoc, he took over the Owl Tavern and operated it until about 1933.  During Prohibition, he operated the business as a restaurant only. He passed away at the age of 78 in 1953 after a brief illness. In this photo, taken in 1939, Lawrence is standing on the left next to an unidentified friend. Image: Courtesy of John Fuka, a grandson of Lawrence.

Tony’s Bar – circa early 1950’s. Matchbook, front.

Tony’s Bar – matchbook, back.

Sportsman’s Bar – 1971. The bar is on the right corner. This photo was taken looking east down Buffalo. Photo courtesy of Manitowoc Police Dept. files.

Uncle Thirsty’s – Friday, December 17, 1971 – ad. Image used by permission of Herald Times Reporter/Gannett.com

Uncle Thirsty’s – T-shirt, circa early 1980’s. Photo courtesy of Louise Henderson

Uncle Thirsty’s – T-shirt, circa early 1980’s. Photo courtesy of Louise Henderson.

Chewy’s – circa 2000 – matchbook.

Chewy’s – 2009.

Chewy’s – 2011. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak.

Chewy’s – In memory of Chewy Piaskowski who passed away on February 15, 2012. The photo was taken in 2009 before the Badger Helmet was removed due to licensing restrictions.

Chewy’s – Article from the Manitowoc Herald Times by Charlie Mathews – February 18, 2012. Article courtesy of Herald Times Reporter/Gannett.com

Chewy’s Bar – November 2012. This photo shows the newly remodeled front. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak.