The Streets of Old Manitowoc
S. 7th & Jay St. – circa early 1900’s. This scene is looking northwest.
This scene from 1906 is looking north just over the 8th St. bridge. On the left is the Osuld Torrison dept. store (eventully the location for Johnson Hills). Across the street on the far right, a sign for Flint-Pere Marquette Railroad & Steamship ticket office (3 N. 8th St.). Going north on the same side at the corner is Michael Dempsey’s Saloon. The white buildings kitty-corner from that were torn down several years after this photo to make way for the Dempsey building at 101-108 N. 8th St. which stands to this day.
1000 Block of Washington St. – circa 1908. Looking east down Washington St. the buildings on the left (1002-1008) would have been part of the Schreihart Brewery. On the same block just across 10th St. (known as Main St. then) would have been F. W. Meyer Hardware (924) where Golddigger’s is located now. Across the street from the brewery at 1001 Washington would have been, Henry J. Mayer General Store. The building partially visible on the far right – Charles Wieboldt Saloon at 1005 Washinton. Across 10th St. (Main) at 925 would have been John Barnstein’s Pharmacy. In the distance is the William Rahr and Son’s Brewery & Malting operation.
A scene from 1909 looking north down 8th St. with the Carnegie Library on the left and the Opera Hall on the right. The red building with the tower was the fire station. Photo from an H. Benke postcard.
A scene from 1909 looking north down the 900 block of S. 8th St. Suspended in the air are street car rail lines bending toward the street’s center. The address on the first building on the right (2 awnings) is 939 S. 8th St. and housed Wernecke & Schmitz Hardware store. The second building on the right (slightly lower than the first) is 935 and housed J.A. Hormel Saloon. This would become the Five O’Clock Club in the 1940’s. The building at the end of the block with the turret is 923. Across the street on the corner is 922, and in the basement was located the Timm & Aumann Saloon.
A scene from circa 1909 looking south from the 100 block of N. 8th St. between York and Commericial St. That’s Michael Dempsey’s Saloon (724 Commercial St.) on the left at the end of the first block. He began in the 1890s and continued into the 20th century. By 1920 at the start of prohibition, the place was listed under the names Fitzgerald & Bruder, soft drinks.
A scene looking north down 8th St. toward Franklin St., circa 1910. Most prominent on the right is George Bros. Ice Cream (913 S. 8th St.). Going down the block two doors down is Fred Gerpheide’s Cadillac Buffet (909), and Fred Roloff’s Delmonico Saloon at 905. Across the street from George Bros. is a partial clothing sign for Schuette’s Bros. Dept. store. Going down the left hand side of the street – at the corner of 8th & Franklin is William Seibel Clothing. Across Franklin St. is the New Williams House Hotel (red building that would eventually be the location for S.S. Kresge).
This scene is looking south down S. 8th St. The Capitol Theater was built by the Ascher Brothers in June of 1921. They operated over 50 theaters, mostly in the Chicago area beginning about 1910. Down the block from the theater is Buerstatte Drug Store at the corner (919). On the right side of the street is G.A. Fehrs Jewelry Store with the clock overhang (910). This building was put up in 1867.
North 8th St. Bridge (looking north). This postcard from the 1920s provides a good view of what the bridge looked like in those days.