2015 Marshall St. – circa 1800’s. This photo was taken before the building at 2013 Marshall was put up. John Knipp started his tavern business at this address about 1884.
White Eagle Tavern – Bar token, front from John Knipp’s tavern. Image courtesy of Todd Knipp (great grandson of John).
White Eagle Tavern – Bar token, back. Image courtesy of Todd Knipp (great grandson of John).
White Eagle Tavern – Kunz-Bleser beer sign. Image courtesy of Todd Knipp (great grandson of John).
2015 Marshall St. – Late 1800s-early1900’s. The tavern, called the White Eagle, was started by John Knipp in 1884. He also owned the grocery store at 2013 Marshall which is the building on the left. There was a doorway leading from the tavern into the store so that one person could operate both. John operated both businesses until his death in 1916, at which time his son, Andrew, took over duties. Andrew operated the grocery store from 1916 until 1965. Image courtesy of Tony Poklinkoski. Background history courtesy of Todd Knipp.
2015 Marshall St. – circa late 1800s-early1900s – interior bar room. Image courtesy of Tony Poklinkoski.
White Eagle Tavern – The following photos were beer trays used in John’s tavern. Images courtesy of Todd Knipp, great-grandson to John.
Dan’s Welcome Inn – circa late 1940’s-early 50’s. Postcard courtesy of Michael Novak & Teresa Marker.
Dan’s Welcome Inn – circa late 1940s. Matchbook, front.
Dan’s Welcome Inn – matchbook, back.
Dan’s Welcome Inn – matchbook, inside.
Harold & Elaine’s Welcome Inn – Friday, October 23, 1981 – ad. Image used by permission of Herald Times Reporter/Gannett.com
Tony’s Welcome Inn – 1985 – Wis. Arch. & Hist. Inventory – This image cannot be copied without the written permission of the Wisconsin State Historical Society.
Tony’s Welcome Inn – circa late 1980’s. Photo courtesy of Tony Poklinkoski.
2 C’s Inn – circa 2000 – bar token, front.
2 C’s Inn – bar token, back.
Sneeker’s Bar – 2005. Photo courtesy of Michael Novak & Teresa Marker.
Gary’s Getaway – 2008. Bits of the old neon tubing are still visible in front proclaiming “Welcome Inn”.
Gary’s Bar – 2010. (This tavern closed in early 2012).
Gary’s Getaway – Saturday, April 20, 2013. Gary reopened his bar within the past several weeks.
Gary’s Getaway – 5-17-15.
Gary’s Getaway – Newer side sign which reads: Orginally Est. 1884 as the White Eagle. John Knipp, Proprietor.